Winning Stroke: Interview with Mr. Surendra Hiranandani, Chairman & Managing Director, House of Hiranandani
"Live for your family and close friends. They are the ones who matter most."
1) If not in the current Profession, You would be?
Dabbling in the pharmaceutical industry for sure. The industry has tremendous scope for growth and has always fascinated me.
2) One tune you always hum?
My taste in music is like chalk and cheese, while I love listening to Sufi songs or Kirtans by Krishna Das and Snatam Kaur. I equally enjoy Pop and Rock singers and bands.
3) One Book to read when you want to motivate yourselves?
I have always been a bibliophile and naming anyone book would be the injustice to my other favorites. But inspiring movies that come to my mind are Whiplash and The Never Ending Story.
It has to be from the all-time classic movie The Matrix when Morpheus says to Neo "I’m trying to free your min
4) One Dialogue of a movie that motivates you or you like the most?
It has to be from the all-time classic movie The Matrix when Morpheus says to Neo "I’m trying to free your mind, but I can only show you the door. You’re the one that has to walk through it."
5) The Place you never been to and always want to go?
Having traveled extensively one location that remains the foremost in my list has to be the pristine snowscapes of Antartica.
6) An animal that signifies you & why?
Horse - it is graceful, free-spirited and energetic and I identify most with it as I was born in the year of the Horse.
7) A Movie Character you most resemble or resonate with?
Movie characters not so much but there are actors I admire and resonate with for their qualities like sheer hard work, incredible talent and a varied range of work they have accomplished and they are Robert De Niro, Tom Hanks, and Leonardo De Caprio.
8) If your life was to be turned into a movie who would you like to play your part?
I would choose Rowan Atkinson for his ability to look at life with a sense of humor.
9) Luck or Hard Work, What do you think weighs more in defining a successful Person?
Without a doubt - Hard Work, your assiduity can be the sole reason for reaching the pinnacles of success and no amount of luck can change your fate then.
10) One best decision you ever made?
The day I listened to my heart and married my wife Alka.
11) A strategy that you always use to take your decisions in Personal or Professional life?
Strive to look at the issue objectively. See that it causes the least harm to others and gives the best results to all affected.
12) Whose advice do you seek when in dilemma?
Specialists in each domain. My mentors have been my Father who shaped my attitude. Mr. Remedios for engineering. Mr. Hafeez Contractor in Architecture. My team who has been with me for so many years and help me to learn every day. My wife and children who show me the way to live my life.
13) What has been your biggest achievement?
Being debt free
14) One thing that you want to change in yourself?
I like to be in control but I have to learn to delegate more and watch from the sidelines.
15) A line said by your closed one that you never forget?
Live for your family and close friends. They are the ones who matter most.